On to socks… Can you tell from this picture that I got all anal and did the twists different on each sock? Here’s what I did…
With waste yarn and a size B hook, I crocheted a chain of 30. With a size 2 needle, pick up a stitch in the back of each ch for a total of 30. Purl the first row, and start the short rows on the first knit row, going down to 8 stitches between pairs, then short row back up. Undo the provisional cast on, and pick up the back 30 stitches.
Knitting in stockinette, increase 2 stitches on either side of the front stitches for the next 2 rows, for a total of 34 stitches in the front and 30 in the back. This is to allow for an extra set of purls on either side. Start P2, K2 rib on front, ending with a P2, and keep the back 30 stockinette. Do the rib for 3 rows, then on the 4th row, cross the knit stitches.
For one sock I did this by knitting into the back of the second stitch on the left needle keeping in on the needle, then swinging around and knitting into the front of the first stitch on the left needle, then sliding them both off the left needle.
For the other sock, I did this by knitting into the front of the second stitch on the left needle keeping in on the needle, then knitting into the front of the first stitch on the left needle, then sliding them both off the left needle.
I did not cross the outermost K2’s on either side, as they would most likely be covered by my shoes anyway. Continue with 3 rows of K2 P2 rib followed by 1 row of crossing until row 50.
On row 50, in those extra purls on either side, start increasing one purl in each of those outermost sections, every other row 3 times. So, the increases would be on row 50, 52, and 54. I just did a purl front and back of one of the purl stitches. This makes a teeny gusset and allows for just a little more room in the heel area.
I started the heel short rowing on row 56, and only did the short rows on the centermost 30 stitches. Go down to 8 stitches again between the pairs, then back up again. On the next row, begin decreasing the purls that were increased back down every other row until they’re back to just 2 again.
I knit the back plain until row 61, which was right after a crossing row, then I started the ribbing all the way around. On the next crossing row, which would be row 64, I crossed all the K2’s around, including the back one, and those 2 that had been on the outermost sides of the foot. I kept going until I ran out of yarn. I just counted, and I did 103 rows total, and bound off using a size 4 needle on row 104.
These may be fair worthy. I’m still thinking.