I think she’s hooked.
Or I suppose you could also argue that I’ve created a monster.
She decided to try her hand at painting as well…
See these three colors up there? Remember those for a later picture.
We even did the sock blanks.
That’s the one we forgot to take any pictures of the during. We took royal blue, teal, and some pink/rose color (all Wilton’s), and first striped it, then did some diagonal stripes, then we got tired of all the pushing down of the dye for the striping, so we started sort of flecking. We dipped the brushes in the dye, and sort of threw the dye off the brush onto the yarn. It’s hard to describe, but I sure could show you.
The sock blanks are 462 yards, and since I only need about 200 or so for a pair of anklets, I knew that I could get 2 pairs of socks out of each sock blank. I had planned on one pair for each of us.
With the way we had just dyed that blank, if I just went and knit up 2 pairs, one would be from one half, the striped half, and the other pair would be from the speckled half. The 2 pairs of socks wouldn’t match. Then we realized that since we used the same colors for the stripes and the speckling, we could each take one sock from one half of the blank! We’d each get a striped one and a speckled one!
This next one, we did something totally different. Can you read what it says?
My name is in green (of course) and my sister’s is in purple (of course). We then speckled it some more. Russell helped.
Ok, remember those dyes I told you to remember from up there? My sister had some leftover. There were 3 colors, so I sort of divided my hank into thirds, and tried to dunk each third into the bowls of dye. It took me a minute to figure out why they wouldn’t sink into the water like the other ones we did. I never pre-soaked it. I stuck the yarn in there bone dry. It sucked up that dye like a nursing baby, let me tell you. And after nuking, I got the most brilliant vibrant colors! My oops is fantastic!
If I remember right (why don’t we take notes or anything when we do this?), this was done with burgundy Wilton’s.
And then the best one of all was this. I had gone yarning with my sister the day before or so, and bought 2 big things of Cascade Eco-wool. I wanted about 700-800 yards of chunky to make myself a Shalom cardigan like the one I made my sister. All the chunky in the yarn store we went too was either out of my budget or had not the colors I wanted. Then the light bulb went off.
Duh, we were going to be dyeing yarn! Why not just get something plain, natural or whatever, and then I could dye it myself? I had plans of using various shades of green, but when I mixed them up, I changed my mind and went with purple, teal, green, and royal blue, and one other green we made up by mixing some other colors.
Here’s what the yarn looked like before we got busy. It’s one of those twist ones, where one ply is natural and the other ply is a darker color.
Uh, sorry about the towels, Dad. I think your saran wrap is leaky.
Here is the yarn on the drying rack. I can’t wait to see how it knits up!
And a picture of the birthday boy with his newest grandson. My dad’s birthday was the 4th of July, and I wanted to thank him for letting me and my sister mess up the driveway for 2 days with all this. And thanks for letting us make your microwave smell like vinegar too. I hope it doesn’t mess up your popcorn too much.